Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Prayers of Hope and Peace

I seem to be on a theme of hope and prayer this week so I will continue in this vein.

I am going to do things a little differently in this post.  It will be some prayers and quotes  I have found that keep me centred and capable of journeying this life that I have been given.  I wanted to share them in case they speak to others the same way they have spoken to me over the years.    Take them or leave them, but for me they have had the power to carry me through some very difficult moments.......

The Power of Prayer

The day was long, the burden I had borne, seemed heavier than I could longer bear.
And then it lifted - but I did not know someone had knelt in prayer, had taken me to God
that very hour, and asked the easing of the load.
And God, the infinite compassion, had stooped down, and taken it from me.

We cannot tell how often as we pray, for some bewildered one, hurt and distressed,
the answer comes.   But many times those hearts find sudden peace and rest.

Some one had prayed, and Faith, a reaching hand, took hold of God and brought Him down that day!
So many, many hearts have need of prayer, Oh, let us pray.


Hope (Jeremiah 29:11-13 NRSV)

For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not
for harm, to give you a future with hope.
Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me,
I will hear you.
When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart.....

God's Days (St. Paul's Chronicles, Claremore, Diocese of Oklahoma)

There are two days in the week upon which and about which I never worry; two carefree days
kept sacredly free from fear and apprehension.  One of these days is YESTERDAY, with its
cares and frets and pains and aches.  All its faults, its mistakes and its blunders have passed
forever beyond my recall. 
It was mine; it is God's.

The other day that I do not worry about is TOMORROW.  Tomorrow, with all its possible adversities, its burdens, its perils, its large promise and performance, its potential failures and mistakes, is far beyond my mastery as is its dead sister, Yesterday.  
Tomorrow is God's day; it will be mine.

There is left then, for myself, but one day in the week:  TODAY.   Any person can fight the battles of Today.  Any woman can carry the burdens of just one day; any man can resist the temptation of Today.  It is only when we willfully add the burdens of these two awful eternities - Yesterday and Tomorrow - such burdens as only Almighty God can sustain - that we break down.

It isn't the experience of Today that drives people mad.   It is the remorse of what happened Yesterday and the fear of what Tomorrow might bring.  
These are God's Days; leave them to Him.



I offer these words of wisdom as prayers for all who find themselves in need.   I have read these words many times over the years and they have played a big part in my journey of acceptance and faith.  I HOPE others too will find some solace in them and their journey will be lightened because of them......God Bless!

No comments: