Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Mourning..........

Today I was kicked in the gut!   We lost a great Canadian today much to soon.   He struggled like many of us with cancer and unfortunately the cancer won.    Sixteen weeks ago he lived the greatest moment in his political career, leading the NDP from an almost non-existent force in Canadian politics to the Opposition Party.    As was said on twitter "he was the great Prime Minister Canada never had".......

In the midst of his own struggle he was still thinking about how we (those suffering from cancer) might lose hope in our own struggles when we saw that he lost his.    He reminded us that we are fortunate to live in a country and a  time where cancer treatments are very successful, and that we must continue to be hopeful and optimistic in our own battle.   I usually don't use these warrior type words when I speak of cancer but today that is how I feel....like we are at war with this horrible disease.    It is at times like this when I realize the incredible people we are losing to this disease......Jack Layton was a unique human being and a real politician....of the people, for the people!   A man of courage, passion and vision.....now gone from us because of a disease that seems to be winning more lately in my life than losing.    I will hang on his words of living in the moment and cherishing our loved ones and the time we have with them......

I can say it no better than he:     "love is better than anger.   Hope is better than fear.   Optimism is better than despair.  So, let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic"     Rest in peace Jack.....you have done your job and it is now our turn to carry the torch........may Canadians hold your family in their hearts and prayers.

2 comments:

Birdie said...

I was so sad when I heard this morning that he had died. I cried. I cried because I have always been NDP and I think he is one of the greatest politicians we have had and he gave me a glimmer of hope for our country's future. And I cried for all the great people we are losing to this awful disease. Why is it always the good that get it? Why? And I cried for my mom who is living her last weeks/months and is going to be taken too.

I am proud to be a supporter of the NDP and I hope that his shoes will be filled.

Pat said...

I always noticed that he was the only political figure who continuously wore a smile. He was engaging - whether you supported NDP or not. To lose him leaves a tremendous gap in the political picture. I was literally dumbstruck when I heard that he wrote a 2-page letter to Canadians on his deathbed. The man truly cared about his country. We can honour him and ourselves by heeding his last words and requests.