Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mental Health Days.......

A Day Off.....I remember when I was a working woman, every once in a while I would decide I needed a 'mental health day'.   I would unplug the phones, keep the curtains closed, stay in my pajamas and just pretend that there was nothing outside of the house.....I was an island all by myself.    Since retiring (read getting sick) I don't do that anymore.   Maybe it is b/c I don't feel that someone who doesn't work deserves to do it....or maybe I feel that I have more mental health days than I can use.   Today, I decided to take one!

I will sit and drink coffee, while I watch the animals wonder why I am not racing around like a tornado.   I will eat toast all day, with maybe a soft boiled egg.  That reminds me!  When I was little, and not feeling well my dad would make me an 'egg in a glass'.   It was a soft boiled egg and buttered toast cut into little strips all mushed together in a tall glass, with pepper and salt.   OMG, did that taste good and it even had a medicinal quality to it.   I am going to have that today too.  My Dad was great for inventing little things, usually to consume, to help you feel better or even just as a surprise at bedtime.   The most memorable 'surprise' was one night when I was going to bed and he was tucking me in, I said I was hungry...of course then my little brother yells out he too is hungry.  So, Dad goes downstairs and makes us something 'special' to eat.   Upstairs he comes, and we are giggling away now both in the same bed waiting for the special thing, and he arrives with two sandwiches on a plate.   The lights are out so we can't really tell what kind they are, and we trustingly take a bite, knowing he would never gives us something we wouldn't like.   The taste was familiar but it took a few seconds to figure it out......then we both screamed "ketchup sandwiches"    Yummmmmmm!!!!   Who would have known that something as disgusting sounding as 'ketchup' sandwiches would be just the thing we would love, in bed, in the dark.   Obviously my DAD.....

Well, as you see I am in a nostalgic mood, so I am sitting in the bus, with my coffee in my hand remembering wonderful things, pretending that I am all alone.   Feel free to get off for awhile, it may be a few days b/f we move anywhere.    Today, I am only moving in my mind................

1 comment:

tamara said...

Must be a "Dad Thing", because I recall—quite fondly—my Dad making me Egg in a Glass, too!